We had a blast! This was such an easy party to host and my daughter and her friends just LOVED it!
At Merrohawke, we always work with the earth in mind.
Here are some tips on how you might help host a birthday that's good for Mother Earth!
- Avoid individual plastic water bottles--kids never finish them and they are often wasted. Instead, consider bringing one gallon containers and serve cups of juice or water.
- If you bring your own plates and cups, please choose recyclable or compostable goods. We also provide washable plastic plates.
- Skip the goody bags--consider the painted t-shirt as a one-of-a-kind party favor!
- Skip paper invitations and send e-vites!
- For snacks, buy local fruits and veggies and serve them on bamboo skewers. Kids love "fruit sticks!"
- Bake your own cake or cupcakes--it tastes better and uses far less packaging.
- Encourage guests to use recycled wrapping paper--or make their own from newspapers and art papers sent home from school.
- Instead of new toys, ask friends to bring gently used books from home and host a book swap. After all, the party is not about the presents but instead playing with friends and celebrating with yummy cake!
- Merrohawke is a nonprofit charitable organization focused on providing kids with time in nature, to connect to land and sea. In lieu of gifts, some families have asked for guests to make a donation for a scholarship gift to another child in the birthday child's honor!
Location: Merrohawke Nature School, 54 Merrimac St. Newburyport, MA
Ages: All youth welcome, though most parties serve ages 2+ to 9.
Session Length: Two hours
We are available to host parties from October through April.
Time: Parties typically run in two-hour sessions (90-minute option available) at a mutually agreeable time between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., typically on weekends.
Cost: $250 two hours. $200 for 90-minutes
Class size: We prefer to limit participation to 15-18 kids.
We Provide: Touchtank, games, t-shirt painting, table cloth and dinnerware.
You provide: Food and drink and kids! If you would like to also bring goody bags and a pinata, you may.
Check availability by emailing Sarah@merrohawke.org, our birthday party coordinator.